Home » LCDC Exam 2015
Category Archives: LCDC Exam 2015
Effective on February 1, 2017 the Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) certification exam by the IC&RC will no longer include the long case study at the end of the exam. Instead, multiple smaller vignettes of 1-2 paragraphs will be added, and each will have 3-5 questions. The rest of the test will stay the same, and the number of questions remains the same: 150 total questions.
Candidates currently registered to take the test on or after February 1, 2017 will take the new test with the small vignettes (short cases) at the end.
Candidates registered to take the test before February 1, 2017 will take the current test, which includes the 13-question long case study at the end.
Prepare effectively for the ADC examination, subscribe today!
Hello Dear Readers!
I have received many questions lately about the oral examination so I decided to post some study tips for you.
Candidates need to prepare a case study and respond to each of the following questions, using the global criteria from each of the 12 Core Functions for alcohol and drug counselors, and providing examples.
- Screening ‐ Describe the purpose of screening and the processes used with the client.
- Intake ‐ Describe the elements of intake and how the intake process was completed in your client’s case.
- Orientation ‐ Describe the process of orienting your client about your services.
- Assessment ‐ Describe the methods and procedures used to assess your client, and explain the results of those assessments.
- Treatment Planning ‐ Identify the components of treatment planning and describe the treatment planning process that occurred between you and your client.
- Counseling ‐ Identify your counseling approaches and theories, and thoroughly describe how you applied them to your client.
- Case Management ‐ Describe the purpose of case management and how it applied to this client.
- Crisis Intervention ‐ Give an example of a crisis that occurred in this case and explain how you responded to it. If no crisis occurred, give an example of a crisis using another case.
- Client Education ‐ What is the purpose of client education and describe how you provided it in this case.
- Referral ‐ Describe the process of referral and explain how it was used in this case.
- Report and Record Keeping ‐ Describe the report and record keeping process and how they were used in this case.
- Consultation with Other Professionals ‐ Describe the purpose of, the rationale for and the results of consultations necessary in this case. If no consultation occurred, provide an example from another case.
Learn more about the global criteria for each of the 12 Core Functions here. I recommend that you create a “fake client” and write his/her case, addressing each one of the 12 Core Functions. This will help you:
- Learn and remember the global criteria for each core function.
- Learn and understand how the 12 core functions work with real clients.
- Prepare examples for the questions you will be asked during the oral examination.
Also, I recommend that you dress professionally for your oral exam. Think of it as an interview…you would not go to a professional job interview wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops, right? Same thing with the oral examination. Members of the certifying board will evaluate your competence as a counselor, and this includes not only your knowledge but also your professional appearance. This is an evaluation of who you are as a professional counselor.
I hope this helps, and good luck to you all!
Samantha DN ∞
This is a special offer for all counselor interns preparing for the Alcohol and Drug Counselor certification exam. My study guide was developed based on the IC&RC ADC Candidate’s Guide, so the topics and materials offered in my online study guide are exactly what you need to prepare effectively for the exam.
I started this study guide in 2012 and it has been successful since then. I have improved it and updated it to match all the changes on the certification exam. It is very affordable compare to other costly and lengthy study guides out there, which many of them are available in hard copy only. This online study guide allows you to study the material anywhere, anytime. You can download some of the material and save it or print it out. You can find a list of resources that you can use for free, online, that you did not even know they existed.
This is a special offer for you to try it out for 2 weeks, for an affordable price.
I hope you find it helpful!
CAC & CAP Exam Review « How to Prepare for the Certified Addiction Counselor and Certified Addiction Professional Exam 2015
Are you preparing to take the Certified Addiction Counselor or Certified Addiction Professional exam in Florida? Check out my updated study guide for the Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) certification exam by the IC&RC, and prepare more effectively. The ADC exam is the equivalent credential for the CAC and CAP in Florida.
Learn more about the Updated ADC exam 2015 Online Study Guide!
Learn more about the ADC 2015 Exam Structure: What to Expect and How to Prepare.