Long Case Study eliminated from Alcohol and Drug Counselor examination effective February 1,2017. Small cases of 1-2 paragraphs, with 3-5 questions added to new test. lcdcexamreview.com Continue reading
Hello everyone! This is a short and quick post to introduce the new Alcohol and Drug Counselor certification exam by the IC&RC, which will be administered by all IC&RC member boards in late 2014, early 2015. I will be publishing more detailed information about the test, but for now I will mention what the new examination will cover.
The main change is in the name of the content. The very well known 8 Practice Domains were grouped into 4 Performance Domains. Notice the change in the word practice, into performance. Is the information completely different, then? The answer is, no. The information is the same; in fact, the new exam will continue to measure competency in the same areas. The 4 Performance Domains, are:
- Performance Domain 1: Screening, Assessment, and Engagement
- Performance Domain 2: Treatment Planning, Collaboration, and Referral
- Performance Domain 3: Counseling
- Performance Domain 4: Professional and Ethical Responsibilities
Engagement = Client, Family, and Community Education
Collaboration = Service Coordination
So, if you’re planning on taking the new LCDC exam, also known as the Alcohol and Drug Counselor exam, by the International Credentialing and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC), stay tuned because I will update my blog and my study guide, and I will be publishing more information related to this new exam.
Subscribe to my blog!
Confused Cartoon. Image from: http://onlinedesignteacher.blogspot.com/2012/08/create-simple-cartoon-character.html
Information from: http://professionals.internationalcredentialing.org/
The best online study guide since 2012 to pass the Alcohol and Drug Counselor certification exam by the IC&RC. Prepare more effectively, and if you have failed the test before this study guide will help you focus only on the topics covered on the test. What to expect Self-paced online study guide – 24/7 access … Continue reading
Candidate Preparing for IC&RC’s ADC examination should note that starting in March of 2016, the ADC examination will have questions with either three (3) or four (4) choices. Read more…
The questions on the ACD/LCDC (Substance Abuse Counselor exam) are multiple choice, just as before, but with either three (3) or four (4) choices. The structure of the questions is the same in that there is only one correct answer (for questions with only one correct answer and two or three false answers), or best answer (for questions with more than one correct answer, but only one is the best answer that includes all the other correct answers).
The Umbrella method is still effective for questions with one best answer. The Umbrella method is the one in which you choose the answer that includes the other correct answers, therefore you end up choosing the best answer. For this kind of questions is necessary that you are very familiar with the topic so that you can identify all the potential correct answers and the main answer that includes them.
Visit: lcdcexamreview.com – Online Study Guide for the Alcohol and Drug Counselor exam
Subscribe to the Online ADC/LCDC Exam Study Guide.
Adds will appear below this line! – LCDC Exam Review Team
Hello Dear Readers!
I have received many questions lately about the oral examination so I decided to post some study tips for you.
Candidates need to prepare a case study and respond to each of the following questions, using the global criteria from each of the 12 Core Functions for alcohol and drug counselors, and providing examples.
- Screening ‐ Describe the purpose of screening and the processes used with the client.
- Intake ‐ Describe the elements of intake and how the intake process was completed in your client’s case.
- Orientation ‐ Describe the process of orienting your client about your services.
- Assessment ‐ Describe the methods and procedures used to assess your client, and explain the results of those assessments.
- Treatment Planning ‐ Identify the components of treatment planning and describe the treatment planning process that occurred between you and your client.
- Counseling ‐ Identify your counseling approaches and theories, and thoroughly describe how you applied them to your client.
- Case Management ‐ Describe the purpose of case management and how it applied to this client.
- Crisis Intervention ‐ Give an example of a crisis that occurred in this case and explain how you responded to it. If no crisis occurred, give an example of a crisis using another case.
- Client Education ‐ What is the purpose of client education and describe how you provided it in this case.
- Referral ‐ Describe the process of referral and explain how it was used in this case.
- Report and Record Keeping ‐ Describe the report and record keeping process and how they were used in this case.
- Consultation with Other Professionals ‐ Describe the purpose of, the rationale for and the results of consultations necessary in this case. If no consultation occurred, provide an example from another case.
Learn more about the global criteria for each of the 12 Core Functions here. I recommend that you create a “fake client” and write his/her case, addressing each one of the 12 Core Functions. This will help you:
- Learn and remember the global criteria for each core function.
- Learn and understand how the 12 core functions work with real clients.
- Prepare examples for the questions you will be asked during the oral examination.
Also, I recommend that you dress professionally for your oral exam. Think of it as an interview…you would not go to a professional job interview wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops, right? Same thing with the oral examination. Members of the certifying board will evaluate your competence as a counselor, and this includes not only your knowledge but also your professional appearance. This is an evaluation of who you are as a professional counselor.
I hope this helps, and good luck to you all!
Samantha DN ∞
This is a special offer for all counselor interns preparing for the Alcohol and Drug Counselor certification exam. My study guide was developed based on the IC&RC ADC Candidate’s Guide, so the topics and materials offered in my online study guide are exactly what you need to prepare effectively for the exam.
I started this study guide in 2012 and it has been successful since then. I have improved it and updated it to match all the changes on the certification exam. It is very affordable compare to other costly and lengthy study guides out there, which many of them are available in hard copy only. This online study guide allows you to study the material anywhere, anytime. You can download some of the material and save it or print it out. You can find a list of resources that you can use for free, online, that you did not even know they existed.
This is a special offer for you to try it out for 2 weeks, for an affordable price.
I hope you find it helpful!
CAC & CAP Exam Review « How to Prepare for the Certified Addiction Counselor and Certified Addiction Professional Exam 2015
Are you preparing to take the Certified Addiction Counselor or Certified Addiction Professional exam in Florida? Check out my updated study guide for the Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) certification exam by the IC&RC, and prepare more effectively. The ADC exam is the equivalent credential for the CAC and CAP in Florida.
Learn more about the Updated ADC exam 2015 Online Study Guide!
Learn more about the ADC 2015 Exam Structure: What to Expect and How to Prepare.